15 Ways to Avoid Those Post-Holiday Blues
Now that the holidays are over, it's easy to feel gloomy after all of the excitement and festivities. Lots of folks experience this given what a joyful time of year the Month of Celebrating is. After all, we have several months of winter and few sunlight hours ahead of us before spring. Take a preemptive strike and keep your spirits up by trying out some of the ideas on this list:
1. The New Year is the perfect time to start fresh with a hobby or activity. Head over to The Neopian Plaza and check out the Music Shop. There you can purchase anything from a Ukulele to a Contrabassoon. Make yourself a practice schedule and learn to play some beautiful music!
2. Or you could work on something you've already started. For example, perhaps you plotted a nice garden space at your Neohome, but never did much landscaping. Find some gnomes or plants that you like and spruce up your yard!
3. You could also try to set a new personal record for yourself on something: plan to read a new book every week or beat your high score in a game you love. Pick something that you'll really feel motivated to accomplish. You'll be extremely proud when you've reached the goal. Then, set an even higher goal!
4. Take a trip. It doesn't have to be anywhere extravagant to be meaningful. If you live in Neopia Central then a daytrip to Kiko Lake is extremely doable. It's a relaxing little village where you can buy adorable furniture and enjoy treats like a Caramel Kiko Apple. Be sure to go on a Glass Bottom Boat Tour! Or if you're feeling adventurous, get yourself to a part of Neopia you've never seen before to keep your post-holiday energy up. Mystery Island is lovely this time of year, especially for Terror Mountain inhabitants!
5. Volunteer at the Soup Kitchen. If you are doing well enough financially to buy your own food, spend a day helping out those in need. The Soup Faerie can always use an extra helping hand to serve up her famous soup or make beds for the pets that need a place to rest. Helping those in need is a great way to raise your own spirits as well as theirs.
6. Enroll in training courses to keep yourself physically energized. If you can, take a trip to the Cap'n Threelegs' Swashbuckling Academy on Krawk Island or the Mystery Island Training School and see what courses appeal to you. A healthy workout is guaranteed to keep your spirits up as well.
7. Work on your writing. Homework for Neoschool isn't always the most fun, but there are lots of ways to write that are very personally rewarding. Try your hand at the Poetry or Storytelling Contests to hone your skills and make a piece you can be really proud of. You can even submit a story or article for the Neopian Times!
8. Clean out your Safety Deposit Box. Now this activity doesn't sound especially exciting, but you'd be surprised at how interesting cleaning and sorting can be. If you're a bit of a packrat you may have had items sitting in your SDB for years. Take a trip down memory lane as you look at plushies you received from the Advent Calendar four years ago or come across a book you had forgotten about. Plus, it's a good idea to get rid of any rotten food. Yuck!
9. Read a new book. Sure, just about everyone has read The Magic Paw, but have you read Nimmo – Now and Zen? Go to one of Neopia's exotic bookstores like Booktastic Books or the Neovian Printing Press and read about something you've never even heard of.
10. Did you know that Roo Island has an Arts and Literature Centre? It's a great place to feel extra fancy as you drink a cup of hot coffee and walk through the Art Gallery. If the exhibits inspire you, head to the School Supply Shop in Neopia Central and purchase some paper and pencils to make your own artwork!
11. Make a new friend. There's nothing quite like the excitement that comes with meeting someone new. Another pet may come from a completely different world from you! If you make a new friend, you can learn all about them and perhaps they can even teach you something—and you can show them something about your world as well.
12. Keep in touch with an old friend. It's easy to lose touch with someone who lives far away or that you can't see often. Don't let it happen! Writing an old fashioned letter is fun and you can use neat stamps from the Post Office to send to your friend. It's never too late to just say hello.
13. Try exotic food. As much as everyone loves eating omelets and leftover candy from the Advent Calendar, add some spice to your life with something new. Head to the Virtupets Space Station and sample Intergalactic Spiced Beans from the Grundos Café or if you are feeling brave try something like a Spooky Shake from the food cart at the Deserted Fairground in the Haunted Woods. Truly adventurous eaters should make an outing to the elite restaurant Kelp in Maraqua and have a full night of new foods.
14. Learn about Neopian history. Take the time to read from the Neopedia. There are lots of articles about all sorts of events in our world's history. Find old comics and read about the Battle for Meridell. Learning about the past will help you keep a positive perspective for the future.
15. Take time for yourself. Whether it's curling up with a good book, going underwater fishing in Maraqua, or taking a stroll through Meri Acres Farm in Meridell, it's important to take some time to relax and enjoy being yourself.
Try just one of these suggestions or try them all! Do whatever works best for you to enjoy the winter months and avoid any post-holiday blues.